Thursday, September 16

One of a Kind: Jasmine Luevano

Monica Cano: Tell me about yourself?
JL: My name is Jasmine. I just turned 21. I love cupcakes, anything sweet, gummy bears. Adopted, Mexican all the way even though I am Puerto Rican. I don’t feel like I am though, all my ideas come from my Mexican influences.

MC: What are your creative passions?
JL: Painting, photography even though I never got into it like that, and I love collages. I love music. I used to be a singer, I was in the choir too. Music is very important to me; I do show it in my artwork. I also love cartoons and comics!

MC: Describe your creative process in creating a new piece?

JL: Well, I mean I feel that a lot of my artwork comes from my emotion. There has to be emotion behind it, a certain situation. I’m more about doing it from behind a certain idea. I do a lot of painting, repainting, taking off, scraping. A lot of my work right now has overlapping things. It takes me awhile, maybe like a few weeks to get the final piece.
 
MC: How do you think your personal relationships affect your work?

JL: Lately its been good but there’s been times like heartbreak, or hard times with my family.
It increases my work, because it’s a way for me to vent. That’s the time when I got to lock myself in my room and do what I got to do to feel better.

MC: Are you working on anything new?

JL: I’m working more with oil paints, because I never did that before. They are so vivid, very nice, different than acrylic. I want to do more with the body, I’ve wanted to do nudes for awhile. Right now the only thing I’m doing is commissioned works for people who want specific things.

MC: A lot of artist express themselves in their room, tell me about your room?
JL: It’s purple, its like my own gallery. I have records up and my art work is everywhere. There’s paintings and my desk to work and a window to look outside.

MC: Who are some famous icons you look up to?

JL: Amy Winehouse, she is a crack head but she is my homie until the day I die.

MC: What [fashion] trend do you love right now?

JL: Gold chains, gold rings, gold everything.

MC: What is a rule you have when it comes to style?
JL: Whatever you wear make sure its you. Don’t try and look like someone else, just cause you saw it on someone else don’t try and put it on you.

MC: Describe your style and your influences/ inspirations?

JL: I don’t look at magazines. I’m a very picky person. I’ll probably come out with one thing from a store. I like shopping up north, forever21 is always a good place to be.
Some of Jasmine's Impressive Paintings